Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 53: From the Rice Fields

Hello from the rice fields of Taiwan! Yup, I am in the countryside. Not as country as some missionaries, but definitely more country than my last two areas!!!

I have have had a wonderful week this week getting to know my new area. It is HUGE!!! We went on Saturday to one of our furthest areas, and it was almost an hour of biking...and that wasn't the furthest! So definitely different than what I am used to, but I am loving it. I have lots of time to sing as we are biking places =] 

So, highlights of the week. We have some great investigators! And boy do I have a wonderful miracle to share. We have an investigators who is a mom of 2 boys, 10 years old and 1 years old. So we went to visit them last Wednesday and we had been told the 10 year old was a bit of a handful, but we were like, no worries. So we get there and he was so excited for us to teach him! He was asking questions and he was so excited to get his own Book of Mormon that he started reading right then and there. We taught him to pray and he said the closing prayer for us. His mom was astounded. She was like, where did you learn to pray? Sadly, she said they weren't going to be able to come to church this Sunday. So on Saturday we went to visit her sister who is a less-active and she was like, a miracle has happened. We asked what it was and she said, normally my nephew is so active and misbehaves a ton at home, but since you came on Wednesday and he started reading and praying everyday, he is a new child. He is so much more well-behaved. And then she said the greatest thing - her sister saw this change in her son and knew it was because of what we taught him to do, and so she was going to bring them to church on Sunday! And she did! And she and her son LOVED church! I am so grateful for the Spirit and the influence it has on people when they have an open heart and are willing to keep the commitments we give them. And this is a huge testimony that living the gospel, regardless of how old you are, will change you. We are so thrilled!!!

We did have another investigator come to church as well. She is super awesome! She and Wang JM and her son all have April 6 baptismal goals. 

I also started teaching English again this week! I am teaching the children's class, and wasn't too excited about it. The last two times I've taught it I have scared the children away...but last week went great! The kids are super great, and I'm so grateful the Lord gave me patience to be able to teach them =] 

I also got to meet our recent converts this week! We have 5: Chen JM and Chen JM. They are twins and were baptized 3 months apart. They are so funny =] Qiu JM was baptized about 2 months ago. She has a son and a daughter who we are working with and teaching as well! Liu JM has been baptized for a few months. She is super sweet. And then Xie JM. She is 10 and super funny. She lives really far away and her dad isn't super keen on bringing her to church, so we are trying to find other ways to help her get there. 

My new ward is fantastic. They are super willing to help with investigators and they love us missionaries. I am so grateful for such a wonderful ward! 

And the best news is: I can now send and receive emails from anyone, not just family! I don't have a ton of time to email, so if you email me, I will most likely write you an letter back, and not an email, but I would love to hear how you all are doing! 

I hope you all have had a wonderful week! I have and am so grateful for this opportunity to share the gospel with the people of Taiwan!

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment