Sunday, December 9, 2012

Week 38: WOW!

Wow! How did we get to December (ok, I know I say this at the beginning of every month, but I wonder it at the beginning of every month!). I am 8 1/2 months as a missionary and have about 8 1/2 months left!!! So...I'm halfway done with my mission! I remember starting my mission and thinking I'd never make it to the end! And now I'm halfway here and I don't feel like I've been a missionary all that long. Craziness!

So, last Monday, after emailing, we went with a recent convert to go shopping! My companion needs to buy going home/Christmas gifts, and I need Christmas gifts, so our wonderful recent convert took us to some shops. We got some stuff, but then ended up at the beach =] I love where I am serving right now! We just went around this mountain and there was the beautiful beach!!! I was stunned how beautiful it was! And it was such a gorgeous day! I really enjoyed that!

Then Wednesday we had interviews (I didn't because I had one two weeks ago at mission tour) and so it was fun seeing people, especially my mission president and his wife. Love them! We had some great training from President Bishop about how to help our investigators keep commitments so I am excited to use what I learned to help our investigators! 

Friday we made a run to Costco first thing in the morning to buy things for this huge Thanksgiving party we were having with the ward on Saturday. We were making turkey (two), green bean casserole, yams, stuffing (homemade because we couldn't find boxed), mashed potatoes and gravy. And the gravy was homemade too. So that was fun going to Costco. 

Then Saturday, the big day! An elder had started planning this party to help the ward introduce their friends to the church in a non-threatening way, but then he got moved. And his companion went home. And my companion moved...so it became my party =] But we had full cooperation from the ward and it all went really well! Of course there were problems, like the person who was supposed to cook the turkeys realized that he ovens weren't big enough, and the person who was supposed to bring plates, forks and cups didn't, but everything worked out. We ended up cooking the turkeys at the church (one right after the other) and then prepared the side dishes at the church and a member took them and cooked them. And thankfully the Taiwanese are used to bringing their own bowls and chopsticks, that they all had just brought their own bowls and chopsticks so we didn't need plates or anything anyway =] I was so impressed with everything! The turkeys turned out delicious and the side dishes were all so good! We had way too much food, but that's ok. I can now say I can make Thanksgiving dinner for 75 people, mostly from scratch, without going crazy =] 

And that was about it for our week!

Investigators! We had two investigators commit to be baptized on December 29th! We are so excited! One has been an investigator for about 6 months and so we were so thrilled that she finally committed to being baptized! We are so excited! The only thing is she wants to get baptized in her hometown, but we aren't sure if she can. So we are going to try and work that out. The other investigator has good potential to be baptized that day as well, but she has to start coming to church =] So we are hoping we can help her understand the importance of church attendance this week. We didn't find any new investigators really last week, so we are going to hit it hard this week and find some more. 




We have also been working a lot with less actives recently, as that is what one of the bishops has asked for our help in doing. So we've been meeting with active singles and getting their help reactivating less-active singles, and so far, we are seeing the active singles be really excited to help us do this! We are also trying to help get family home evening going again with the two wards, and we saw great success with that last night! So things are moving and going great here!

I hope everyone is doing well! I love you all and am so grateful for all your love and support!

Pictures:
1) Yes, this is where I am currently serving. It is so beautiful! And the buildings on the hillside are a college. I'd love to go to college there =]


2) Turkey #1 in the oven!


3) Turkey #1 out of the oven! So delicious with crispy skin, meat falling off the bones, everything!


4) All the other side dishes we made (except for the potatoes and gravy) - yams, homemade stuffing and green bean casserole. 


I hope everyone has a fantastic week! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment