Saturday, June 2, 2012

Week 2 in Taiwan


Hello Everyone!!!
I've made it another week in Taiwan (well, almost 2 full weeks =] ) And boy have Sis. Lee and I been blessed this week!!! We have seen amazing success, I don't even know where to begin!
So before coming on a mission, I'd heard how, in Taiwan, there are a lot of self contacts: people just walking up to the church saying they want to attend or learn more or get baptized! I didn't really believe it, until this week!!! We had 6 self contacts this week! Granted, 4 of them weren't originally self contacts, but the ended up being =]
-Tuesday, we were at District Training Meeting (DTM) and right after had a appointment set up with a less active we are working with. She came in to our meeting at the end and was like, there is a girl here who wants to talk to the missionaries and learn about the church. Uh...for reals??? So we go and talk with her and she just opens up! It was so amazing! We set up another time to meet with her, but found out she lives in another area, but works in our area. We decided to still met with her on Thursday though. She called us at 10:30 and said she couldn't come then, but could she come at 2? Sure. She called at 2 and said she couldn't come, but could she come at 6? Sure, but we figured she wouldn't really. Well, she did! And we talked with her and she said she had prayed and she loved it! And we gave her a Book of Mormon and was so excited. She was also going to come to church on Sunday, but something came up and she didn't come. Hopefully we can  meet with her this week.
-Monday, there were two elders in the parking lot talking with this group of girls who had come up to them, wanting a picture. The elders didn't really want to take picures with them, so they took pictures with us =] We invited them to English on Wednesday, and they came! Afterwards we talked with them and taught them about prayer and invited them to church on Sunday. And they came! Well, one had to work, but the other three came! We gave them Book of Mormon's and they all seemed pretty interested. We also invited them to be baptized, and while they didn't necessarily say yes, they didn't say no either =]
-Saturday: We were in a meeting with our 10 year old recent convert when a member from another area came in saying there was a lady who wanted to come to church =] So my companion went out to talk to her while I finished our lesson with our RC. The lady had seen the church often and wanted to come, and she did come to church!

So, needless to say, its been a pretty amazing week! We had 7 investigators at church and we have 6 investigators with baptismal dates, and 7 progressing investigators!! It is just all so amazing and Sis. Lee and I are very grateful for the Lord's help in finding all these marvelous people!

I also added (this means that we talked to someone and set up another time to meet with them) all by myself this week! My goal this week was to get over my hatred of the phone. I can speak Chinese ok, but I have a hard time understanding them, especially on the phone because I can't see their lips. So the phone freaks me out. But, we had a lot of referrals to call, so I sucked it up and started calling people. Most people didn't answer, and few call back. We had finished calling them all, and later on, the phone was ringing, but I missed answering it. I looked through our referral cards and found who it was. It was like, 8:30 at night and I didn't feel like calling them back, but I did. And by the end of the converstation, I had set up my first appointment with someone who wasn't already meeting with us, and I was so stoaked! My companion freaked out =] Its great!! So we are meeting with her tomorrow =]

So that's a lot of what we've been up to this week =]

A few other cool things:
We have a deaf family in our ward, and I was noticing on Sunday how different Chinese Sign Language is from ASL. Its kind of funny =]

I got my hair cut today! It was needing it badly, and as much as I loved it super long, it was a bit too long and its been super hot. So I cut about 3 inches off fo it =] Our most recent convert does hair, so I went to her, and she was just so amazing! She was super awesome to us, and didn't charge me full price, yet I still got the head massage/wash, plus a hair cut and she gave me some product for my hair because, oddly enough, my hair is super dry. So that was so fun! I am including a picture =]

Yes, its been super hot here! It hasn't rained since my second day on Island, but it started raining again today. Not a huge deal, but I prefer when it doesn't rain =]

I'm enjoying biking! Our area really isn't that big at all. We rarely bike for more than 5 minutes to get anywhere. If we hit all green lights (which we normally do) it only takes 1 minute to bike to church, and we often bike there and leave our bikes and walk around. We run 3 days a week, around this park, and its about a mile. I don't necessarily mind it, but we go at 6 AM, so I'm never fully awake =]

OH exciting! So the mission has a language program that we do, and it contains 3 phases. Phase 1 is learning vocab and such, and to move onto Phase 2, you have to pass off evaluations for Lessons 1-5 in Preach My Gospel. My goal is to have phase 1 done by the end of my 1st move call (transfer - 6 week period). So, last night I passed off my Lesson 1 evaluation! I was so excited! All the elders in my district were like, you already did lesson 1??  Yes, its so great =] I'm excited to get through phase 1! I don't get to start characters till Phase 3, so thats my motivation to get through Phases 1 and 2 fast!!!

Also excited, our carbon monoxide alarm started going off at 10:10 PM last night. I was sitting in the kitchen writing in my journal and my companion was on the phone with the office elders and it beeped and I went into the room and was like, what was that...The office elder heard it over the phone as well and was like, oh no. I guess it had gone off a few weeks ago too. It went off 3 times and he said to call the mission secretary and her husband, since they live in our building. We did, they came down, gave us their alarm and said if it goes off again, we were going to sleep in their apartment. Thankfully, it never went off again, and we all woke up fine =]

Well, I think that's about all! We are having a Mexican Party tonight complete with a pinata! It is a referral party so we encouraged all the ward members to bring their non-member or less active friends, and we've all invited our investigators, so we hope it goes well. And we are praying that the rain stops! Since the pinata part is supposed to be outside, since our building doesn't have a gym.

Oh and I get to go to the temple next week!! I am so excited! We are going on Wednesday, which means that Wednesday will be my preparation day, not Monday, so no one freak out when you don't get my letter on Monday =]

Thank you all for your love and support! I am so grateful for it! I love being a missionary and I am absolutely loving serving in Taiwan! The Taiwanese people are so amazing!

Love you all!
-Sis. Busath
#498-11 Wu Chuan Road
Taichung, 404-46
Taiwan, ROC

No comments:

Post a Comment